The Painter of Constitutions.
Selected Essays on Plato's Republic.
Edited by Mario Vegetti, Franco Ferrari and Tosca Lynch.
2013. 348 S. 54,00 Euro. 15,5 x 23 cm. Hardcover. 978-3-89665-511-0.
(International Plato Studies Bd. 32)
Inhaltsverzeichnis/Table of content (PDF)
Textauszug/Browse content (PDF)
Prospekt (Druckversion/PDF) / Information leaflet (Print version/PDF)
This volume presents the English translation of a selection of 15 essays out of the 82 comprised in the seven-volume commentary on Plato's Republic, edited by Mario Vegetti and published by Bibliopolis (Naples).
1. Thrasymachus (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
2. Poetry: paideia and mimesis (S. Gastaldi, Univ. di Pavia)
3. The noble lie (F. Calabi, Univ. di Pavia)
4. The unhappiness of the Guardians and the happiness of the polis (F. De Luise-G. Farinetti, Univ. di Trento)
5. Beltista eiper dynata. The status of utopia in the Republic (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
6. Philosophical Knowledge and political beliefs in Plato's Republic V (F. Ferrari, Univ. di Salerno)
7. Megiston mathema. The Idea of the Good and its functions (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
8. The Idea of the Good as Cause (F. Ferrari, Univ. di Salerno)
9. The Line and the Cave (F. Franco Repellini, Univ. di Milano)
10. Dialectics: Configurations and Functions (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
11. Mathematics and its reform in Plato's time (E. Cattanei, Univ. di Cagliari)
12. Daimonion pragma. An anti-empirical approach to harmonics (Plat. Resp. 7.530b-531d) (A. Meriani, Univ. di Salerno)
13. Plato's criticism of democracy and oligarchy (L. Bertelli, Univ. di Torino)
14. The image of the soul and the happiness of the just man (S. Gastaldi, Univ. di Pavia)
15. Who does what in Resp. 10.596a-597e? (F. Fronterotta, Univ. di Lecce)
It must be noted that the necessarily limited selection of essays included in this volume is not based on any kind of qualitative judgment: in other words, these essays are not the ones that we regard as 'the best' among those contained in the volumes of the commentary. Instead our aim was that of presenting, within the bounds of possibility, a number of critical assessments of the most relevant aspects of the dialogue (politics, ethics, epistemology, ontology), in order to provide the readers with some samples of the interpretative style of the commentary together with some of the results that we think we have obtained in the interpretation of the Republic. This inevitable selection unfortunately led to the exclusion of those essays that were mainly concerned with the literary and psychological aspects of the dialogues, or with its Wirkungsgeschichte. Of course, we hope that the limited specimens presented in this volume will stimulate the readers to examine more extensively the collective work from which these essays derive.
Mario Vegetti is emeritus professor at the University of Pavia. He has published several works on Plato (including Quindici lezioni su Platone, Einaudi, Torino 2003), ancient ethics, Aristotle and Galen.
Franco Ferrari is professor of Ancient Philosophy at the University of Salerno. He has worked on Plato and the ancient Platonic tradition. Among his works are annotated translations of Plato's Parmenides (Milano, 2004) and Theaetetus (Milano, 2011). He is the author of I miti di Platone (Milano, 2006).
Tosca Lynch is a postdoc researcher at the Institut für Kulturgeschichte der Antike, Austrian Academy of Sciences. Her research interests include ancient Greek music and Plato's ethico-political thought and aesthetics.
See further information for this book on www.platosociety.org
Buch bestellen (Deutsches Bestellformular)
Order book (Englisch order form)
Andere neue Titel aus dieser Schriftenreihe/Other new books from this series:
International Plato Studies
33 · De Brasi, Diego. L'immagine di Sparta nei dialoghi platonici.
31 · Dialogues on Plato's Politeia (Republic). Edited by Noburu Notomi and Luc Brisson.
30 · Regali, Mario. Il poeta e il demiurgo.
29 · Balansard, Anne. Enquête sur la doxographie platonicienne dans la première partie du Théétète.
28 · Mouroutsou, Georgia. Die Metapher der Mischung in den platonischen Dialogen Sophistes und Philebos.
27 · Kim, Alan. Plato in Germany: Kant – Natorp – Heidegger.
26 · Plato's Philebus. Edited by John Dillon and Luc Brisson.
21 · Eidos-Idea, 2. Edition. Edited by Francesco Fronterotta and Walter Leszl.
5 · Pritchard, Paul. Plato's Philosophy of Mathematics. Second edition.