The Painter of Constitutions.
Selected Essays on Plato's Republic.
Edited by Mario Vegetti, Franco Ferrari and Tosca Lynch.
2013. 348 S. 54,00 Euro. 15,5 x 23 cm. Hardcover. 978-3-89665-511-0.
(International Plato Studies Bd. 32)
Inhaltsverzeichnis/Table of content (PDF)
Textauszug/Browse content (PDF)
Prospekt (Druckversion/PDF) / Information leaflet (Print version/PDF)
This volume presents the English translation of a selection of 15 essays out of the 82 comprised in the seven-volume commentary on Plato's Republic, edited by Mario Vegetti and published by Bibliopolis (Naples).
1. Thrasymachus (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
2. Poetry: paideia and mimesis (S. Gastaldi, Univ. di Pavia)
3. The noble lie (F. Calabi, Univ. di Pavia)
4. The unhappiness of the Guardians and the happiness of the polis (F. De Luise-G. Farinetti, Univ. di Trento)
5. Beltista eiper dynata. The status of utopia in the Republic (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
6. Philosophical Knowledge and political beliefs in Plato's Republic V (F. Ferrari, Univ. di Salerno)
7. Megiston mathema. The Idea of the Good and its functions (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
8. The Idea of the Good as Cause (F. Ferrari, Univ. di Salerno)
9. The Line and the Cave (F. Franco Repellini, Univ. di Milano)
10. Dialectics: Configurations and Functions (M. Vegetti, Univ. di Pavia)
11. Mathematics and its reform in Plato's time (E. Cattanei, Univ. di Cagliari)
12. Daimonion pragma. An anti-empirical approach to harmonics (Plat. Resp. 7.530b-531d) (A. Meriani, Univ. di Salerno)
13. Plato's criticism of democracy and oligarchy (L. Bertelli, Univ. di Torino)
14. The image of the soul and the happiness of the just man (S. Gastaldi, Univ. di Pavia)
15. Who does what in Resp. 10.596a-597e? (F. Fronterotta, Univ. di Lecce)
It must be noted that the necessarily limited selection of essays included in this volume is not based on any kind of qualitative judgment: in other words, these essays are not the ones that we regard as 'the best' among those contained in the volumes of the commentary. Instead our aim was that of presenting, within the bounds of possibility, a number of critical assessments of the most relevant aspects of the dialogue (politics, ethics, epistemology, ontology), in order to provide the readers with some samples of the interpretative style of the commentary together with some of the results that we think we have obtained in the interpretation of the Republic. This inevitable selection unfortunately led to the exclusion of those essays that were mainly concerned with the literary and psychological aspects of the dialogues, or with its Wirkungsgeschichte. Of course, we hope that the limited specimens presented in this volume will stimulate the readers to examine more extensively the collective work from which these essays derive.
Mario Vegetti is emeritus professor at the University of Pavia. He has published several works on Plato (including Quindici lezioni su Platone, Einaudi, Torino 2003), ancient ethics, Aristotle and Galen.
Franco Ferrari is professor of Ancient Philosophy at the University of Salerno. He has worked on Plato and the ancient Platonic tradition. Among his works are annotated translations of Plato's Parmenides (Milano, 2004) and Theaetetus (Milano, 2011). He is the author of I miti di Platone (Milano, 2006).
Tosca Lynch is a postdoc researcher at the Institut für Kulturgeschichte der Antike, Austrian Academy of Sciences. Her research interests include ancient Greek music and Plato's ethico-political thought and aesthetics.
See further information for this book on www.platosociety.org
Buch bestellen (Deutsches Bestellformular)
Order book (Englisch order form)
Andere neue Titel aus dieser Schriftenreihe/Other new books from this series:
Brisson, Luc. Le Même et l'Autre dans la Structure Ontologique du Timée de Platon. Quatriéme édition.
De Brasi, Diego. L'immagine di Sparta nei dialoghi platonici.
Dialogues on Plato's Politeia (Republic). Edited by Noburu Notomi and Luc Brisson.
José Antonio Giménez Salinas. Theorie und Praxis bei Platon.
Plato in Symposium. Edited by Mauro Tulli and Michael Erler.
Understanding the 'Phaedrus'. Second edition. Edited by Livio Rossetti.
Zafiropoulos, Christos A. Socrates and Aesop.
Andere Neuerscheinungen/Other new books:
By the sophists to Aristotle through Plato. Edited by Elisabetta Cattanei, Arianna Fermani, Maurizio Migliori.
For a Skeptical Peripatetic. Edited by Yosef Liebersohn, Ivor Ludlam and Amos Edelheit.
The Harmony of Conflict. Edited by Francisco L. Lisi and Michele Curnis.
Il NOUS di Aristotele. Edited by Fabio Stella, Maria Giovanna Sillitti, Francesco Fronterotta.
Licciardi, Ivan Adriano. Parmenide tràdito, Parmenide tradìto nel Commentario di Simplicio alla Fisica di Aristotele.
Mansfeld, Jaap et al. Melissus between Miletus and Elea.
Meister Eckhart. Kommentar zum Buch der Weisheit. 2. Auflage. Eingeleitet, übersetzt und erläutert von Karl Albert.
Newton, Isaac. Mathematische Grundlagen der Naturphilosophie. 4. Auflage. Übersetzt und herausgegeben von Ed Dellian.
Nous, Polis, Nomos. Edited by A. Havlíček / Ch. Horn / J. Jinek .
Ostenfeld, Erik Nis. Human Wisdom.
Reason and No-reason from Ancient Philosophy to Neurosciences. Edited by R. Loredana Cardullo and Francesco Coniglione.
Robinson, Thomas M. The Other Olympians.